Halton Region – Green Cart Program
- Gold Quill Award of Merit – IABC
- Ovation Award of Excellence – IABC Toronto
- Pinnacle Award for Communication Management – CPRS Hamilton
- Silver Award of Excellence – CPRS
- Silver Ontario Waste Minimization Award – Recycling Council of Ontario
- Silver Marketing Excellence Award – Solid Waste Management Association of North America (SWANA)
When Halton Region launched its green cart organics recycling program I helped brand the campaign, while at Pier 8 Group. Halton had already identified a marketing slogan: “More Blue and Green for a Better Planet”. I developed a friendly frog to introduce the green carts to the region’s 450,000 residents. I also designed an information package, advertising for community newspapers, transit shelters, buses, and movie theatres, posters for GO stations to reach commuters, and an illustrated, rhyming storybook featuring our friendly frog mascots.
Initially, I created a single mascot – a green frog – to be the advocate for the green cart. Later, I created a blue frog to represent the blue box program. Together, they make a perfect pair to promote the campaign theme: “More Blue and Green for a Better Planet”
When the program was rolled out, Halton was diverting 43 percent of solid waste from the landfill. During the first six months of the campaign, resident participation in the program reached 79% in the urban areas and 61% in the rural zones.
© 2022 Sylvia Toffoletti Graphic Design | Print & Digital | All Rights Reserved | Designed by Sylvia Toffoletti